Ahh autumn…the nights are drawing in, the leaves are falling from the trees, and the mince pies are start appearing in local shops that little bit too early. To celebrate one of our favourite times of year, we have compiled a list of our favourite things about being at home in autumn.
1) Blankets. Long gone are the days when a checked woollen blanket was solely for your grandparents’ knees. This warm and snug item is now for everybody and can also make your room look that extra bit inviting. We love these throws from John Lewis, perfect for cosying up in front of the fire (or The X Factor).
2) Which brings us on to number two…a roaring fire. Now we understand that not everybody is lucky enough to have a log fire or burner but you can’t argue with the fact that it is the ultimate autumnal dream as the temperatures suddenly drop of an evening.
3) Autumn is a gardeners dream. After a few months of sporadic rainfall combined with dry spells, your garden can take a battering during the summer so the thought of a bit of rainfall is welcomed by many. Autumn is also the perfect time to harvest those seasonal vegetables, ready for some great winter soups and sides to an impressive Sunday dinner.
4) Our fourth favourite thing about autumn is the food. There is nothing better than ditching the salads and having some hearty home cooked grub. If you aren’t the best in the kitchen, why not invest in a slow cooker to create sumptuous casseroles and chillis. With Halloween just round the corner too you can become the next Great British Bake Off winner and create some sweet treats.
5) Catching up on reading is another autumn activity. Beer gardens and barbeques soon become a distant dream and nights indoors become more inviting. If you are an avid reader, there are plenty of ways to create a cosy reading nook in the home. If you are struggling to find the space, Ikea does a great range of floating shelves that can efficiently store away your best reads.
6) Autumn colours. Yes there is no doubt that autumn the most naturally attractive of all the seasons, with its gorgeous golden hues, vibrant reds, and natural mood lighting from the lower sun. Autumn is the perfect time to rearrange your house and update its look, check out our blog post on how to make your home autumn ready for inspiration.
Do you love autumn as much as we do? Let us know what your favourite part of the season is in the comments below.
You might also like these articles.
5 ways to make your garden “party ready”
Outdoor parties during the infamous British summer can be a precarious affair; the threat of ...read more
Top tips from Garden Guru Lisa Cox
It is safe to say that summer this year has been more of a wash ...read more